PowerTouch™ Learning System Learn to Write Numbers, 1 - 20
Click on a link below to view the Adobe PDF Format Instruction Sheet. To ensure proper operation, please download ALL instruction sheets for your product.
Frequently Asked Questions
- The lights on the top of the Power Touch unit are not working. How do I correct this problem? The batteries are dead or weak. Replace all batteries with fresh, alkaline batteries. Do not mix old and new batteries.
- What parts and accessories are sold with Power Touch system? The system comes with the base unit and two starter books. The starter books are Ernie’s Neighborhood (an original Sesame Street storybook), and School Skills Sampler (an interactive workbook). These books are targeted for children in Preschool, Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade.
- What is the Power Touch system? The PowerTouch product is an interactive reading system that brings books to life at the touch of a finger. The system automatically knows the active page displayed. You just turn to any page and touch a word or picture for interactive responses.
- What retailers are carrying the Power Touch system? The Power Touch system is available nationwide beginning September 2003, at Toys “R” Us, Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart, and other major retailers.
The sound quality on my Power Touch product is faint or there is no sound. What should I do?
Please go through the following steps to assist in correcting the problem.
- Make sure the RESET switch on the back of the unit is in the ON position.
- Adjust the volume by sliding the volume switch upward.
- After a few minutes, the unit will shut off automatically. To turn the unit back on, simply press the on/off button.
- The batteries are dead or weak. Replace all batteries with fresh, alkaline batteries. Do not mix old and new batteries.
- Why do eight lights located at the top of the Power Touch unit (four on each side) stay lit for an extended period of time? This is an indication of weak or dead batteries. Try inserting a new set of 4 “AA” alkaline batteries.
- How do I turn the Power Touch unit on and off? The power button is the yellow button on the front of the unit. Touch it once to turn the toy on, and again to turn it off. When the product is turned on, the voice will say, “Welcome.” When turned off, voice says “Good-bye.”
- How do I adjust the volume on the Power Touch System? To adjust the volume of the toy, slide the purple switch (located next to the power button) up to increase volume or down to decrease volume.
- My Power Touch will not turn on properly. What could be wrong? Be sure the RESET Switch (located on the back of the Power Touch unit) is in the ON position. If the product does not seem to be functioning correctly, try sliding the RESET switch to OFF and then back to ON again. If this does not correct the problem, your batteries may be weak or completely dead. Try inserting a new set of 4 “AA” alkaline batteries.
- Why does my Power Touch system keep switching to the “Words” mode? The light lit at the top of the unit will indicate the active mode of the product. The default mode is the “Words” mode, so whenever you do not actively select a mode, the product will default to the “Words” mode. This will also happen if you make selections that do not correspond with the active mode.
- How do I get out of a particular mode while using the Power Touch unit? To get out of a specific mode at any time and go back to basic exploratory play, simply touch the “Words” mode at the top left side of the page, OR turn to any other page in the book.
- Do I have to press hard on the Power Touch base unit pad to execute functions? The system uses touch-sensitive technology, thus responding to any touch. You do not need to press hard. For best results, users should use only one finger to touch each word or picture, allowing time for the interactive response before touching the next selection.
My Power Touch system seems to be giving responses from a page that is different than the one we are touching.
During play, the unit must be completely open so that it lies flat. If the unit is even partially closed, the page activation may not work properly thus giving responses for another page, other than the active page .
- If the book is torn, bent, curled, written on, marked up, etc, the unit may not work properly and may not recognize the active page. Taping torn pages will not fix the problem. You will need to replace the damaged books.
- If something is blocking the optical sensors, such as dirt, sand, the user’s hands, etc., the page activation may not work properly.
What is the proper way to insert a book into the Power Touch base unit?
- To properly load a book, hold the book closed with the cover facing up toward you, fit the top end of the bookbinding into the top of the unit, then lower the bottom end of the book binding into the bottom of the unit.
- Make sure the back cover of the book is lying flat against the right side of the base unit.
- If the book is open to any inside page, make sure the front cover is lying flat against the left side of the base unit.
- Make sure all other pages are lying flat.
- Make sure the book is not upside down.
- You may play with only one book at a time when inside the unit.
- The alphabet on the base unit does not work if a book is loaded into the unit (even though you can see half of the alphabet when using the front cover or back cover of a book.)
- Do Power Touch starter books require a cartridge? The two starter books that come with the base unit do not require a cartridge. To play with these books, make sure there is no cartridge or any other object inserted into the cartridge port located at the top right side of the unit.
Can I use headphones with my Power Touch Unit?
Headphones are not included with the unit, but may be used for private listening.
Headphones must be equipped with a 3.5 mm plug and must be stereo. Mono headphones (identified by three bands on the tip of the plug) will fit into the headset jack, but they will not function.
- The headset jack is located on the side of the unit with the silver handle, above the speaker area.
- If an object is lodged in the headset jack, the unit will not make sound and will, therefore, appear to be malfunctioning. Once the object is removed, the unit emit sound from the speaker.
- If you are using headphones and you touch the book or unit with the headphone wire, it will activate audio responses. It's important to keep the wires away from the touch-sensitive areas of the unit.
How should I store the Power Touch books?
You can store only one book inside the unit at a time.
- Attempting to store multiple books in the unit will prevent the unit from closing properly.
- The binding of the book must be properly inserted to prevent it from falling out when carrying the unit by the handle.
- A PowerTouch Backpack is available as an optional accessory. The backpack will store the PowerTouch unit plus four books and corresponding cartridges.
How should I store the Power Touch cartridges?
You can store only one cartridge inside the unit at a time.
- We recommend that you keep the book and corresponding cartridge together.
- The cartridge has been designed to clip to the binding of its book for storage. Simply turn the cartridge sideways and clip the top edge (where the little nubs protrude) of the cartridge onto the binding.
I am having problems with the counting activities on the Power Touch.am I using this application incorrectly?
You will sometimes hear a sound effect before you hear the number you are counting. If you count too fast, you will only hear the sound effects. For best results, try to pause slightly in between touches. Occasionally, as you are counting the objects, you may hear the response “you counted that” even though it is the first time you are touching it. This may happen if you roll your finger over the object (the toy reacts as if you have touched it twice.) Try counting the objects by individually touching each object with your fingertip. In most of the “count” games you will need to only count pictures. However, for added challenge in some of the “count” games, you will need to count corresponding words in addition to the pictures, in order to count all correct objects on the page.
- Ernie’s Neighborhood – on the Farmer Page – you may be asked to count “farmers” or “pigs.” You will need to count the word “farmer” (located in the text on the left side of the page), or the word “pig” (highlighted next to the picture of the big pig) in order to complete these tasks.
- Ernie’s Neighborhood – on the Baker Page – you may be asked to count “triangles,” “stars,” or “squares.” You will NOT need to count the corresponding words.
- School Skills Sampler – on the Grade K Page – you may be asked to count “stars,” “little stars,” “big stars,” “crayons,” “squares,” or “triangles.” In order to complete the task, you will need to count the corresponding words as well (e.g. you need to count the word “star” located below the word “Grade,” when asked to count “stars,” “little stars,” or “big stars”.)
- In the Power Touch starter book, Ernie’s Neighborhood, should the songs be similar? The music mode is similar on many pages. To interrupt the music mode, simply touch any other mode icon on the page (such as the “words” icon), or turn to another page in the book. The music mode on the “Police Officer” page in Ernie’s Neighborhood has an excellent play feature. You may touch objects on the bus as instructed, or even touch other objects on the page to add silly lyrics to the song.
What should I try if my Power Touch unit is not working?
Please go through the following steps to assist in correcting the problem:
- Make sure the RESET switch on the back of the unit is in the ON position.
- Try sliding the RESET switch OFF, and then back ON again.
- Try sliding the purple Volume Switch up to a louder level.
- Make sure the Power Touch base unit is completely open so that it lies flat.
- Make sure that you are using the right combination of book and cartridge (or no cartridge, as appropriate).
- If you are using one of the two starter books (type of book is indicated on the top right of the cover), please ensure there is no cartridge inserted into the base unit.
- If you are using any other Power Touch book, make sure the corresponding cartridge is fully inserted into the cartridge port at the top of the unit (above the letter “Ee” on the base.) The title on the book cover and the cartridge should match.
- Make sure the book is in good condition. If pages are ripped, curled or bent (especially at the top of the book), then the unit may not work properly, and the book will need to be replaced.
- Make sure the book is correctly loaded into the unit and the pages are lying flat.
Can I use an adapter cord with my Power Touch unit?
No, there is no adapter connection available nor recommended for this product.
What are the best kind of batteries to use in Fisher-Price® and Mattel® products?
A. We recommend using alkaline batteries with our products, as they are great for long-term use and help optimize performance. We don't recommend using Carbon-Zinc batteries. While Carbon-Zinc batteries may work well with low-power devices, they can drain after a short period of time and cause certain products to not function properly.
Sorry, replacement parts are not currently available for this product